Friday, July 17, 2015

Find Your Writing Process

As a writer, you have to find your own writing process.

I never knew about the writing process. When I went to school – back in the day -- we outlined and then wrote. My mind didn’t work that way, so I usually wrote and then crafted my outline from what was written. I got As, so it wasn’t a big deal.

Then I became a newspaper reporter. Lead paragraphs had to be a suscinct 20 to 28 words. That was a problem for me. How did I know where I was going until I was there? So I’d sit at the keyboard and type the story – beginning with the second paragraph. Undoubtedly, by the time I was about halfway done with the story, I’d realize what the lead needed to be. I’d go back and add it in – thank Heaven for computers. Unbeknownst to me, I’d taught myself to write using the writing process.

The writing process is described as cyclical – you brainstorm, draft, rewrite, edit, and publish. Some writers believe that any of these steps can be repeated as necessary until the publishing step. I’m one of those writers. I brainstorm, draft, rewrite, draft, rewrite the whole thing, edit, rewrite some more. Then more brainstorming might happen, which results in more drafting and rewriting.

It doesn’t matter how it is done, just do it!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment