Thursday, March 26, 2015

The Inspiration for Relic


The setting for Relic was inspired by a home in Wyoming, NY, a tiny rural village, which boasts that it still has gas street lights.  Another of the village’s pride and joys is Hillside. The home has seen many incarnations, first as a “water cure,” then as a private home, then as a B&B through several owners.

I have known about Hillside since my reporter days. It has so many cool features that one just wouldn’t imagine in a house of that age. I remember there being lights in the closets that automatically lit when the doors opened. Bedrooms shared bathrooms, Jack and Jill style, but then there were also doors between adjacent rooms, so that not only could a person move down the length of the upstairs via the hallway, but also from room to room. I remember a beautiful spiral staircase on the outside of the house that led from the owner’s bedroom porch to the buttlerfly garden.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen all of Hillside. I have some photos that help my memories. But then, like a lot of memories, truth and fiction blur. When you’re a writer, that’s okay. It’s where imagination takes over.

No comments:

Post a Comment