Friday, March 13, 2015

Favorite Time to Write

Do you have a favorite time to write?

I love writing first thing in the morning with a steaming cup of Red Rose tea nearby. I can tell if it’s a productive writing session if the cup of tea goes cold. This happens most often during summer months on my back porch. There's something about nature all around me, the world waking up, that inspires me. I love the quiet before everyone else in the house is awake.

As a wife and the mother of two, however, this rarely happens! So, I grab time when I can. Lately, a lot of my writing has been happening on weekends, particuarly Sundays when errands are at a minimum. Or in the evenings when the oldest is getting ready for bed and I am waiting to crash. I must say that fighting sleep and fighting a story line is not always as productive as I'd like it to be.

I made the most progress on Relic when I devoted just 20 minutes a day to writing. I find often, that 20 minutes will turn into a half hour or even an hour or more. Sometimes, that time is spent re-reading what I have already written, or revising what is on the page. Sometimes it is enough to refresh my brain, which after the computer has been shut down, keeps working on the plot. By the time I sit back down the next day, the story has continued in my mind and is waiting to be put down on paper.

No matter when you like to write, make a commitment to that time. Even a little time each day adds up.

No comments:

Post a Comment