Sunday, May 3, 2015

Going Back is Hell!

Writing Tip #1:  Last month, Jeff S., one of my fellow writers in my writing group declared, “Going back is hell!”

He was going back through his project and changing the story. “Didn’t you go all the way back through yours, Roberta?” he asked.

Yes, I did. Relic was originally written in third person. I was very close to the end of the manuscript when I realized the view point had been wasted. I could see inside my protagonist’s head, but so what? If she was telling the story, we’d be able to see inside her thoughts, too. So why not just tell the story in first person?

It was a daunting task, but as soon as I started, I knew I had made the correct decision. With first person, Samantha could tell her story and her personality could come out. When I took those first revisions back to group, everyone agreed.

Even now, in the first draft of my new project, I had parallel time lines. By about 20 pages in, I realized getting to the good part seemed to be taking too long, and I was going to give too much away. I went back and revised. I think it sounds much better.

So yes, going back is hell. But is it worth it? Most of the time, I think so. Like I tell my students: Writing doesn't come out right the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment