Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Happy 4th!


I am sitting here staring at a beautiful summer sky. I have just gotten out of my pool, I have eaten my grilled hot dog, and I am waiting to see the fireworks. 


As I was doing this, it dawned on me that we are celebrating this great American holiday because of a piece of writing.


It is a piece of writing that could have gotten its signers arrested for treason. It was, and remains, a source of discussion and debate.


The Declaration of Independence is everything a good piece of writing should be. It made people of the time very uncomfortable. It was and still is very controversial. And it continues to stir conversation.


I thank my lucky stars – and stripes – that a piece of writing is so important to my country’s history.


Happy Independence Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment