Saturday, April 30, 2016

Poetry Finale

If you’ve wondered why so much poetry lately, it has been because April was poetry month. Since today is the last day of the month, my last poem will run today. Maybe more poetry will appear occasionally, but I think I need to get back to Peacock. It’s been a fun poetry run.

My Purse

Slung over my shoulder, years ago
It was fashionable.
But decades have changed things.
The envelope design,
The faux alligator texture repulses me.
Or is it that?
I open the flap and prayer cards spill out.
The Sacred Heart of Jesus,
The Assumption of Mary,
The Holy Family.                                  
The prayer of St. Francis,
The twenty-first psalm.
My father,
Marcia’s father,
Kathy’s mother,
Uncle Sy,
Bonnie,
Lynne.
I tuck Brian’s inside
with omnipresent tissues.
It has become my funeral purse.
                      - Roberta Worthington

No comments:

Post a Comment