Sunday, November 15, 2015

Meeting Authors

This weekend I was able to meet and chat with several children’s authors at the WNY Children’s Book Expo hosted by Monkey See, MonkeyDo, a local independent book store.

I must say that the highlight was meeting children’s author Virginia Kroll.

I have waited at least 15 years to meet her ever since reading her picture book Naomi Knows It’s Springtime. Not only is it a beautiful, heart-felt book, but for years I used it to help me teach poetry and imagery. Too many times, writers depend on sight when describing, but this entire book depends on every sense but sight! It’s one of those books, whose lesson has stuck with me.

Virginia Kroll was wonderful enough to share her process for writing this book with me. She told me she wrote index cards for each sense. The sight one filled up fast and full. She threw it out! What was left was the basis for the book.

I’m not going to give the ending away. If you’re looking for wonderful picture books, look to Virginia Kroll. She’s a wonderful person and a wonderful children’s writer!

No comments:

Post a Comment