Saturday, February 21, 2015

Picking an Agent

The agent search continues. I’ve read some articles by published authors on how to find an agent. One writer said that although she felt she wasn’t supposed to, she queried several agents at the same time. I’m following her lead. In the past three days I’ve queried five agents.

It's time consuming and a bit nerve racking. You need to send the query letter, but each agent also wants a different amount of the story -- some 10 pages, some the first chapter, some are as vague as "the first few chapters." Some want it double spaced, some apparently don't care. Some agents request that you include your email address in the query -- which is baffling -- wouldn't they just need to reply to your original email? Anyway, I keep plugging,  knowing this is my one and only shot with this agent, hoping that the segment they request is enough to pique their interest.

I’ve rewritten my query letter. I like this one much better than my first. I think I nailed the summary of Relic more accurately, and I’ve included more information about myself. I really want an agent who believes in the story as much as I do. I love Samantha Whitaker, the way she grows and changes, and the way she starts to believe in someone other than herself. I love that Sam takes a stand for someone who has no voice and helps her find her place in the world. I’m hoping to find an agent who has the patience to see the manuscript through to the end and becomes as proud of Samantha as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment