Friday, February 20, 2015

My First Agent Attempt


Now that Relic is complete, I need to find an agent. I contemplated self-publishing, but someone – sorry, can’t remember who – advised me that because Relic was a young adult book, I could be leaving out middle school libraries as one of my top clients. Since I adore my middle school library and the librarian who runs it, I couldn’t let that happen. The search for an agent began.

I googled “young adult literary agent.” I love Google, and I love Writer’s Digest. Put them together and I found exactly what I needed. I read several agent descriptions and found one I thought was perfect. Without naming names, she had the same last name as one of my favorite protagonists, she liked many of the same books I enjoyed including some more obscure titles, she was looking for a genre that fit my book, and she looked pleasant – like someone I wouldn’t mind having for a friend. And since I anticipate this process to be long and complicated, I would need a friend to see me through. I felt a connection. She didn’t want multiple submissions, and so I sent a query and sampling of Relic, “as per her submission guidelines.”

I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

No response. Rejection assumed.

Oh, well. Rome wasn’t built in a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment