Monday, November 7, 2022

Attending Conferences

Lately, my blogs have been highlighting how to go about writing and getting published. This week, I'm taking a small break from that topic, and yet, I'm not.

In between all of the writing, revising, and editing that leads to a published story, you have to search out additional ways to answer your questions. No one has all the answers. No one's journey is the same as anyone else's, and you can get tips you never knew you needed by talking with other authors and people in the book business.

Saturday, I attended the Indie Author Day at the Buffalo and Erie County Central Library. It's a great mini-conference -- only a half day. This year there were four speakers on the agenda, and I learned something from every one of them. I must say one of my favorites was Susan Bottaccio, the librarian from the rare book room. She detailed all of the resources available in the space and, knowing how important research can be when writing, I was amazed! Frankly, I want to move in and never leave!

Another speaker, Susan Solomon, was very informative. Among other things, she stressed the importance of reviews and writer's groups. She even gave me some personal advice that I won't reveal here, but I am in the process of implementing!

When I attend these events, I always search for at least one take-away from each speaker. Even if you don't find something new, there's the affirmation aspect of such an event. I could sit in the audience on Saturday and repeatedly say, "Yup. I do that," and that feels good.



No comments:

Post a Comment