Sunday, October 23, 2022

Publishing Series: #8 How Do You Know When You Are Done?

How do you know when a piece of writing is finished?

Good question!

Sometimes you don't. The best advice at this stage of the writing process is to get your writing in front of other people that you respect for their writing talent and that you trust. In most cases this is some sort of writers' group.

I've belonged to a writers' group for about 15 years. The membership has changed over the years -- people drift out as life gets complicated and sometimes drift back in when they enter a period of time to dedicate to writing. Our core group of writers, however, has pretty much remained the same. They are a great group of talented, intelligent, creative people.

We meet once a month and bring a piece of writing to share -- something that we need help with or need to see a response to. Before we read our piece to the group, we try to tell them what we need them to look for. We provide a copy of the piece for each member and they mark up their copy while we read it aloud to them. Constructive criticism runs the gamut from spelling and punctuation errors to word choice and development suggestions.

At one meeting, I brought one of the last chapters of Relic before it was published. After I read, the group was upset. The character of the county historian had been mean to the two young girls in the story, they said. He needed his "comeuppance" -- their word, not mine. All the way home that night, I cursed them out! How could I fit this in? How could I make it happen? By the time I got home, I had figured it out. And to this day, I think it is one of the best parts of the story!

The writers' group has been invaluable in my journey as a writer. Find one near you, or reach out to your local library or indie bookstore and see if there is interest to start one!

Next Up: So You Think You're Done...

No comments:

Post a Comment