Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Women's Rights in Relic

     Mrs. Van Dansk lifted the flap of the envelope and pulled out a letter.

     “Dear Elizabeth, it starts. A letter to Elizabeth Cady Stanton? Oh, now this is exciting!” She adjusted her glasses on her nose and glanced at each of us, a child-like grin dancing at the corners of her mouth, but it wouldn’t last.”

In Relic, the original owner of Hydrangea Hall, Olivia Ainsley Wagner Roth, was a suffragette who kept company with the likes of Elizabeth Cady Stanton.

During some recent travels, I took a chance and turned off at the exit for Seneca Falls, the home of the women's movement, to see what I could see.

Alas, it was not much.

The museum dedicated to women's rights pioneers like Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony was closed for the day. I’ll visit again.

If you try to find it, be warned…we passed it four times before I stopped in an extreme state of confused frustration to ask a shop owner where it was. I was expecting something grand, but found it to be an equivalent to 12 Grimmauld Place. My oldest daughter, a women’s libber in her own right at 13, said, “It couldn’t have been better hidden.”


1 comment:

  1. Hi Roberta,
    I am the Librarian at Wyoming Library in Wyoming, NY. I was wondering if you would do a book talk on your book at our library? Alice (the lady you met at the Middlebury Academy on Sun. Aug. 28 said she read your book, really enjoyed and was very impressed. The Wyoming Library phone number is 585-495-6840 if you would like to contact me about a future visit. Thank you, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete